Cream of asparagus SoUp
Tasty and light for a cool night. I don’t keep whole milk or cream on hand, so 2% milk for me it is. This can easily accommodate a pareve or vegetarian menu by swapping out the chicken broth for pareve chicken broth.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1″ pieces
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried chopped onions ( 1/4 cup fresh yellow onions)
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 c. 2% milk ( original recipe calls for heavy cream)
- Freshly chopped green onions
- In a heavy pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and cook until golden, 5 minutes. If using freshly chopped onions, add in with the asparagus, otherwise dried product is mixed in with broth.
- Add broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender but still green, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion or regular blender, puree soup.
- Stir in cream, then warm over low heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with green onions