Since I don’t eat crab, this is a modified crab cake, but using canned salmon. I prefer the unhealthy version by pan frying in olive oil, but for a healthy version, this can be put in the oven and baked.
It can be served as an appetizer/first plate or a meal on its own.
To top it all off, I like to serve with one of three different dressings or sauces: Jalapeno Ranch, Chipotle Sauce or Thousand Island
Serving Size: 10-12 patties
- 20 ounces can salmon, skinless and boneless
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/4 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, for frying
- Drain the salmon, if necessary, and pick through it for bones, cartridge and skin ( jumbo lump will not have shells). Put the salmon in a medium mixing bowl and add chopped onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, paprika, pepper lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and salt.
- Add the mixture over the salmon and mix gently until well combined. Gently break up the lumps with your fingers but do not overmix.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and the parsley over the mixture, and mix them in thoroughly but gently;
- Form salmon into patties about 1 inch thick
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat
- Gently add salmon patties. Cook on each side, about 4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from saucepan and lay on paper towel or brown paper bag to absorb excess oil