I like to cook on the stovetop with my Le Creuset cookware. I find that chicken and beef dishes come out extremely moist when slow cooked on the stovetop immersed in delicious juices. Original recipe by Ree Drummond with my small modifications to my cooking preferences and adjustments made for two (2) adult eaters.
Recommended sides: Roasted Asparagus
Wine Pairing: Anything Red
4-5 whole chicken thighs with skin
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons butter or margarine (for pareve)
2 green bell peppers, sliced
2 red bell peppers, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tray white mushrooms sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
3/4 cup dry white wine
One 28-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1 package pasta of choice (I like linguini)
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or basil, for sprinkling (photo features basil)
- Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken. Dredge the chicken in the flour.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Place the chicken skin-side down in the skillet. Brown on both sides, then remove to a clean plate. Reserve 1-2 tablespoons of oil/fat mixture
- Add the sliced bell peppers and onions to the skillet, as well as the garlic. Stir around for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and stir around for 1 minute. Add the thyme, turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir, then pour in the wine and allow to bubble.
- Pour in the tomatoes and stir to combine. Return the chicken to the Dutch Over by layering chicken, skin-side up, over vegetable mixture, without submerging it. Cover and reduce heat on stovetop to low. Cook for 45-50 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Prior to draining reserve 1/2 a cup of liquid. Drain pasta and pour in serving bowl and mix with 1/2 a cup of reserved liquid (I always do this with my pasta).
- Transfer the chicken pieces to a plate, followed by the vegetables. Return the Dutch oven to the burner and turn the heat to medium high. Cook and reduce the sauce for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the noodles onto a large platter or into a big serving bowl. Add the vegetables all over the top, then place the chicken pieces on top of the vegetables. Spoon the juices from the skillet over the chicken and noodles.
- Prior to serving, garnish with chopped parsley (optional)